5th graders spent a morning in middle school shadowing an older student. Here is what they had to say about the experience:
What was the best part of shadow day?
- Getting to meet some of the teachers I will have next year.
- Being with my sister and getting to see what she does during the day.
- Seeing a new environment and teachers.
- Going to lunch and art, and hanging out with the sixth graders. They made my day! They were nice.
- Seeing what it is going to be like next year and seeing the best way to bring my stuff from place to place. I also loved having fun with all of the teachers.
- The teachers that we spent time with throughout the day
What is one thing you learned about middle school that you didn’t know?
- I learned that you have to time your homework so on the last day you don’t have so much homework.
- Middle school has more privileges than elementary school.
- The teachers are really nice and funny, and they are a little flexible if you are a little late.
- I learned about NJHS and what they do.
- You get to take an elective course.
- Middle schoolers have to be on top of things in order to not get in trouble or be late.
- They get to choose a few of their classes.
- The schedule is a lot different.
- The work load seems challenging.
What are you looking forward to in middle school?
- Having international students in my class.
- Being able to sit where I want at lunch.
- Being more independent and changing every class period.
- Getting new teachers and going from class to class.
- Being able to wear skirts (as opposed to jumpers).
- Bigger lockers in the 7th grade.
- Looking forward to electives in the E-hour
- I’m excited for middle school because of the khakis.
- Looking forward to the clubs like chess