The Everest Collegiate, Oakland Christian, Lutheran Northwest co-op tennis team had arguably their best season yet. With Lutheran Northwest player Moorea McNalley claiming the #1 singles individual state championship, the team saw their hard work pay off. With a team with no seniors, they finished the state tournament 5th out of 23 teams.
The team was recognized by the Michigan High School Tennis Coaches Association (MHSTeCA) winning All-Academic Team. The All-Academic award recognizes teams who have an overall GPA of 3.25 or higher based on their regional line-up. The award honors student athletes for their many hours of work and dedication in maintaining high academic achievement while being part of a competitive athletic team.
Additional honors came in for the team with Moorea McNalley being named first-team all state in singles and Sarah Schmidt being recognized as honorable mention.
Head coach Lee Keating reflected on other highlights of the season:
- Most players seeded at States (4)
- Most players making it to play on Saturday, the second day of State competition
- Most players making it to the finals (2) – Madelyn & Moorea
- Best performance of ALL our players
- First #1 Singles Player to win at States – Moorea McNalley
- Best response ever from a player when challenged – Andrea Gonzalvo
- Best team spirit, even without the kazoo’s! Finally!
Many thanks to head coach Lee Keating, assistant coaches Kevin McNalley and Michelle Sutkiewicz, and for all the parents who supported the team throughout the season. #AllforHim