Clean Water Calendar Contest
Calling all Oakland County 4th and 5th grade students who want to participate in the 12th Annual Kid’s Clean Water Calendar Contest! This year’s theme for the calendar is “Clean Water Begins with You! We Can All Protect Oakland County’s Watersheds, Lakes, Rivers and Streams.” Twelve monthly winners will be selected and notified in November. An awards ceremony with prizes will be held in December at the Cranbrook Institute of Science in Bloomfield Hills!
Contest entries will be judged by water resource professionals on effectiveness of message, creativity, educational aspects and uniqueness.
• Use plain, white, letter-sized paper, LANDSCAPE format (11 inches wide by 8.5 inches tall)
• Bold colors and lines show up best using crayons, markers, ink, watercolors, poster paint, etc.
• Students must work on drawings individually
• Artwork becomes the property of the Water Resources Commissioner’s Office and will not be returned
• Do not mount, frame, fold or roll drawings
Ideas for drawings could include:
• Storm drain awareness – where does the water that enters storm drains go?
• Ways to conserve water
• Clean up after your pet/don’t feed the waterfowl to prevent water pollution
• Use fertilizers and pesticides sparingly and properly to prevent pollution
• Use native plants in landscaping to protect water quality and provide habitat for wildlife
• Practice good automobile care by fixing oil leaks immediately and taking the car to the car wash or
washing it on the grass instead of the driveway
• Dispose of household hazardous waste and unused medication properly
Entries will be accepted until October 7, 2016. Mail entries to:
Oakland County Water Resources Commissioner’s Office
Attn: Calendar Contest
One Public Works Drive, Bldg 95 West
Waterford, MI 48328
For more information, please contact the Oakland County Environmental Team at 248-858-0958 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.